Der Förderkreis Mahnmal St. Nikolai e.V.
Friends and Supporters of St. Nikolai Memorial
St. Nikolai Memorial is managed by a private citizens’ action group and exclusively financed from admission fees, membership dues and donations. When he returned from exile in 1946, Mayor Max Brauer was the first to express the wish to preserve the ruin of the former Hauptkirche St. Nikolai. In 1952 the church and the city government agreed to establish a memorial dedicated to the victims of war and tyranny in the years 1933 to 1945. In the 1960s the City of Hamburg undertook to maintain the ruin. The memorial materialised when on 18 September 1987 Bishop emeritus Dr. Hans-Otto Wölber called for saving the spire and ruin of St. Nikolai as a memorial and subsequently a group calling itself ‘Save St. Nikolai’ was established. In 2012 the group’s name was changed to ‘Friends and Supporters of St. Nikolai Memorial’.
Chairman: Klaus Francke, MP ret’d
Deputy chairman: Frank Breckwoldt
Treasurer: Dr. Martin Schau
Other members of the managing committee:
Michael Batz, Gerhard Hirschfeld, Dr. Ralf Wegner, Pastor em. Wolfgang Weißbach
Members of the managing committee representing:
The Hanseatic City of Hamburg: Gabriele Bohnsack-Häfner
The Hauptkirche St. Nikolai at the Klosterstern: Reiner Plorin